Tuesday, June 16, 2009

SWELTERING SUMMER HEAT


College exams got over in mid-April and after two weeks of vacation; it was time to join a company for two months as a summer trainee.

It was the second day of the month of May (1st May being a holiday-Maharashtra day), I had to report to the company at 9.00 AM.

The day before, I had decided that I’ll be on time at the office … planned the entire schedule .. referred to the railway timetable, decided on a particular train..got the details of the bus no. and the bus route too. I slept early at 10.30 PM and set alarm for the next day at 6.00 AM

The next day dawned, the alarm was not ringing….I thought there’s still time to wake up ..its not yet 6.00 AM. But then I glanced at the watch….oops .its 7.00. I was startled …I had to rush to freshen up, have my breakfast, pack my tiffin….and also to iron my clothes..but oops again…Load shedding….drops of sweat trickled down my forehead!!

I digged my cupboard for some decent clothes but couldn’t find anything better…I was badly perspiring.. .Finally found a shirt and a pair of trousers and put them on.

I was waiting for a cab to reach the railway station…it was 8.00 AM..still 1 hour to reach the office. Already I was perspiring profusely. There were no signs of a cab on the road and after 5 minutes , I somehow got a cab. I told the driver to drive fast but hush…the cab stopped. I yelled at the driver,” What’s the matter? Why did u stop the cab? I am getting late”. He said “ There’s not enough petrol madam”.

I got off from the cab and started walking fast towards the station .But I realized walking fast won’t help me from not being late. so I started to run. The scorching heat made me feel as though I’m made out of wax and was melting.

I was walking on the bridge towards the platform, when I saw the ticket checker and it dawned on me that I had not bought the ticket. I ran back to the counter and waiting in the long queue, I wondered” Why on earth all such wrong things happen on the same day?”

I got the ticket and rushed to the platform where fast trains arrive. I somehow got into the train but to my dismay, the train changed its route and was now halting at all stations. It was 8.45 AM. How could I reach the office in 15 minutes? The train was so crowded and congested that I could hardly breathe. The humidity was at the peak.The stink of the sweat was aggravating and I was feeling sick. I was gasping for breath and looked above at the ceiling of the train and shucks…the fan wasn’t working. The station arrived and I was pushed out of the train.

The humidity was 95% and my clothes were soaked with sweat. I went to the bus stop and thought that if I get a bus immediately, I might still reach office before time and then bus arrived but it was crowded and before I could enter into it , the bus conductor signaled the driver to move the bus and off the bus left. There were still 6 minutes left to 9.00.

I couldn’t beat the heat…and was thirsty.. waiting eagerly to reach office and quench my thirst. My I somehow managed to get a cab easily and it left me at my destined stop.

I alighted from the cab and reached the company gates hastily ( it was 8.58 on my watch). Though I was dying of thirst and soaked in sweat, I was so happy that I reached on time and how my boss would be pleased to see me on time.

But…..I found the company gates were closed. I enquired with guard and he said,

..

….

…..

“ Arey Madam ,Yeh dekho ..”

and I saw the board:

OFFICE TIMINGS:

MONDAY-FRIDAY 9.00 AM TO 5.00 P.M

SATURDAYS CLOSED.....

9 comments:

  1. poora effort waste?? lol

    Just like Vaidu's GEDA papers [:P]

    Cheeers
    CRD

    ReplyDelete
  2. lolz.....

    It happens....It happens... :D
    Sometimes god likes us to play games for him....
    Simulation games.... :D

    So what happened on monday??? reached on time???

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ The Vitruvian Boy
    yup monday i rchd on time.a lesson learnt - always inform some1 wel in adv esp. if its ur first day either at coll or office or an intw!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really liked it, just imagine the Natures play (i believe it all really happened to you), i too have come across such days, all negative things happening on the same day one after the another and that too on an important day when you are needed to reach/report at a place on time, but it is on such days only that we struggle too hard and finally make it, Cheers.
    - Amit Purswani.
    ( www.kranemetal.blogspot.com )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!!!! what an anti-climax!!! by the way, i'm a fellow summer trainee so i know your grief but gladly i had a better experience on my 1st day

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe..:D...Nice one girl.. Really appreciate the way you have described a simple commonplace event in any Mumbaikar's life, in simple words with a touch of humour. Looking forward for some more nice events/thoughts to unfold through your words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Advice ::
    tell ur mom to wake U..

    ReplyDelete
  8. it was really good. Hope ur following days at work wasn't bad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wud never happen with me.....i keep a count of holidays

    ReplyDelete